Posted by Alan McBurney on June 27, 2011
Outlook clients were unable to expand public folders with the following error being displayd
Public folders access using OWA was fine.
After looking at the Mailbox server the RPC Client Access service was stopped
The service wouldn’t come online complaining that the port was already in use.
A reboot of the server resolved the issue
Posted in Exchange 2010, Outlook | Tagged: Exchange 2010 Public Folders, Outlook | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Alan McBurney on September 3, 2010
If deploying Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2003 clients then this KB is a must read.
Outlook 2003 clients my experience delays when receiving, sending or deleting mail.
Posted in Exchange 2010, Outlook | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Alan McBurney on August 31, 2010
Download the Office 2007 GPO Administrative Templates from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=78161
Review the Microsoft article on Enforce settings by using Group Policy in the 2007 Office system: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179081.aspx
Create\Edit a Group Policy to limit PST access
1. Open the GPO Editor and follow the steps in KB307732 to load the outlk12.adm Outlook 2007 GPO templates.
2. Goto <User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office 2007\Miscellaneous\PST Settings>
3. Enable “Prevent users from adding new content to existent PST files” if you want to put PSTs is read-only mode
4. Enable “Prevent users from adding PSTs to Outlook profiles and/or prevent using Sharing-Exclusive PSTs” if you want to block the creation of new PSTs
Note: This option will also prevent off-line caching of SharePoint Lists and Internet Calendars.
Outlook 2003 does not allow for the same granularity of PST control as Outlook 2007. 2003 is limited to just blocking the creation or opening of PSTs.
See Microsoft KB896515 for options on how to block the creation and/or opening of PSTs.
Blocking PSTs completely in most versions of Outlook
The following registry key, DisablePST, will block PST access all together
Posted in Exchange 2010, Outlook, PST | 1 Comment »
Posted by Alan McBurney on August 25, 2010
Stale has updated his script over at msunified.net to break the dependancy on the CASArray. I have used the script a few times and can highly recommend it. Its definitely a must have for your Exchange 2010 toolbox
I no longer recommend using this script as the CAS Array should not use the same name as Internal\External namespace. this is due to the fact the when using RPC over HTTPS a delay of 30 seconds will occur when connecting to the mailbox as the default transport mechanism of TCP\IP is used when namespaces are identical.
You can of course use this script and then delete the CAS Array and recreate it with a different name.
When working with Exchange 2007 Exchange ninjas has a great script for configuring all VDirs on Exchange 2007 which can be found here.
However now that 2010 is here I was looking for a new script. I found this excellent script by Ståle Hansen. One thing to be aware of is that the script relies on detection of an Exchange Client Access Array which can and imo should be set even when using a single server.
Script can be found here
Posted in Exchange 2010, Outlook, PowerShell | 2 Comments »